Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Another glimmer of hope for restarting non-proliferation talks with Iran

Haaretz - Israel News - Iran says ready for unconditional nuclear talks with Europeans:

"European states have said in the past that negotiations would not resume unless Iran stops uranium reprocessing in Isfahan. Tehran says it will never again stop uranium conversion but is ready for dialogue."

Yes, I am still riding my nuclear non-proliferation hobby horse.

It is not clear what this latest announcement from Iran means. It seems to mean just slightly less than the headline Haaretz has given to this AP story. Still any diplomatic issue on which the US and the Big 3 of the EU are on the same page can't easily be written off as hopeless. (I hope!)

I won't rehash the whole argument now, but I will remind my readers (are you there?) that as a merely game theory proposition, the more players, the more opportunities for something to go wrong. And when that something is nuclear war, the stakes will be high indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home