Friday, January 21, 2005

Lee-Jackson Day

Today, January 21, is the birthday of Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson. It comes just two days after the birthday of Robert Edward Lee. Also born in January were two other prominent Confederate generals, Longstreet and Pickett.

A friend of mine in South Carolina has suggested that Southerners use the federal holiday on the third Monday of January as a memorial to Confederate generals. As an unreconstructed Confederate myself, I endorse that idea and propose that we call it Lee-Jackson Day.

1 Comments:

At Fri Jan 21, 12:57:00 PM EST, Blogger J. Keen Holland said...

To the imtemperate young man who called me a "slave owner" in his post above:
That charge is absolutely untrue with respect to me. As to my family, in my direct male line not one ancestor was listed as a slave owner or in a household where slaves were owned in any Census from 1790 to 1860. I don't have information about other ancestors on my father's side. My mother's family were of mostly Pennsylvania German stock and early settlers in Indiana. General Lee did not believe in slavery and freed the slaves that were inherited from his wife's family. I do not believe that General Jackson ever owned any slaves. Slavery was not the main cause of the war and it was not what most people thought they were fighting over on either side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home