Saturday, May 26, 2007

It makes you proud to be an American

Boy Bags Wild Hog Bigger Than 'Hogzilla':
"Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot."

Not quite as good as the legend of Davy Crockett (guys my age will remember the TV show theme song "killed him a bar [bear] when he was only three"), but still an inspiring performance. In fact, this hog was bigger - a whole lot bigger - than our black bears in the eastern US.

My hat's off to this young man from Alabama. The biggest revolver I've ever fired was a .357 Magnum and that's enough punishment for a grown man's hand. I don't even want to think about the pounding young Jamison Stone's hand has taken to develop proficiency with a .50 calibre.

And not only an accomplished hunter, this eleven-year old just finished sixth grade as an honor roll student at Christian Heritage Academy.

3 Comments:

At Sat May 26, 12:51:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't think this was a little risky, even with the back-up from his Dad & the 2 guides who all had rifles? Ever been on the recieving end of a wild hog charge? Son, you start lookin' for a tree real quick!!

 
At Sat May 26, 01:45:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a hunter so I am serious when I ask this question. In my state, Oregon, I think it is against the law to hunt with a pistol. Is it legal to kill a pig with a pistol?

 
At Sun May 27, 12:05:00 AM EDT, Blogger J. Keen Holland said...

To Jersey Danny - Seems to me that they were taking reasonable precautions, although I wouldn't want to confront such dangerous game without a very large rifle.

To Anonymous from Oregon - Handgun hunting for many types of game is allowed in a number of states. If this hunt were not legal in Alabama, these guys would not be posing for pictures in the newspapers as hunting law violations generally carry very stiff penalties.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home