Monday, May 15, 2006

Republican factions in the immigration debate

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Republicans on Immigration: The War Within:
"If the Democratic whispers -- that Republicans are racists who oppose non-white immigration -- are demagoguery, neither does the claim of some Republican apologists that the party is 'against illegal immigration, but for legal immigration' accurately represent the whole party. There are at least four identifiable factions within the GOP."

A very insightful look, by James J. Na of the Discovery Institute, at how the immigration debate opens deep fissures among Republicans. I could comfortably place myself in either the law and order or culture warrior camps.

I understand the Dick Morris "triangulation" faction, but I have two problems with them. First, as Dwight Eisenhower was reputed to have said, a political party without principles is nothing but a conspiracy to seize power over other people. Second, I think that in this case they are simply wrong about where the political advantage in this debate lies.

As for the Limousine crowd. These are the people I started fighting when I joined the GOP in 1964. Why haven't they gone away yet?

I take issue with Na's characterization of culture warriors as "Anglo-Saxon," however. It may not be broadly inclusivist, but it is not so narrow as that. It is Western, Christian, and not a little Calvinist. It includes Scots, Scandinavians, Welsh, German and other strains as well as the major Germanic strains in Britain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home