Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Another artist turns critic

Dylan says modern recordings "atrocious"�|�US News�|�Reuters.com:
"'You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them,' he added. 'There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static.'"

This reminds me of an interview several years ago with Frank Zappa. When asked about a then-current trend in music he said (approximately) - That's got nothing to do with music; it's for people who are into studded dog collars.

While I suspect Dylan has a point, you might expect a bit more modesty from a guy whose own work got the bum's rush from the powers that be the first time they heard it.

OTOH, what the heck do I know about contemporary music? I seldom listen to anything that wasn't written before I was born. Saw an old movie on cable the other night featuring Kay Kyser's College of Musical Knowledge with Ish Kabibble - that's my idea of fine music ... and comedy. If you want something from my own lifetime, I could recommend Spike Jones or Ernie Kovacs. And, if you absolutely require something contemporary, there is always Prof. Peter Schickele of the University of Southern North Dakota lecturing on P.D.Q. Bach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home